UI observations

Tempest 4000 INFORMAL support / information forum
Forum rules
Just be polite and use common sense.
Junosix

UI observations

Postby Junosix » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Hopefully this won't trigger too many QA flashbacks...

UI-related observations on PS4 in 1080p mode on a 720p TV, some/all of which may be intentional, and are all a great example of me being an insufferable fusspot:

In the controls instructions there are references to the buttons in this format: O BUTTON, X BUTTON, etc. but the legend at the bottom of the screen renders them like: O button, X button.

No apostrophe in text strings on the title screen "LET S DO THIS", "DON T WATCH IT PLAY IT", "BUSHNELL S NEON LOVECHILD" but there is an apostrophe available in the typeface ("Flossie's Frolic").

No space between "by" and "Atari" on the "Legal" screen (sentence reads "Tempest 4000™ is a trademark owned byAtari, Inc.")

One credits page also mentions Supertapper (i.e. TxK) instead of Superzapper.

There's mention of Eugene Jarvis in the credits but no nod to Dave Theurer?!!

If you go to the music jukebox part of the credits, then quit to the title screen, then go back to credits, it will take you to the page for the last music track you had open in the jukebox but the title music still plays. You then have to move left and right to select a neighbouring track, which will then start to play.

Can't see anywhere in the instructions that says how the T2K CD, T2K MOD and TxK soundtracks can be swapped into the game. Maybe a line of text on the level select screen would work?

Gameplay wise, it all seems great to me, except there was one instance where the intermediate flying bit between levels was extremely sensitive to input.

GilesGoat
Site Admin

Re: UI observations

Postby GilesGoat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:53 pm

... yau ...

" .. and this thing been tested to nausea " .. ( looks like "Not enough" ) :mrgreen:

So you talking PS4 version ..

Apostrophe .. I have to check .. in reality there are 2 "almost similar but different" fonts, "mine" an "Jeff's one" with different glyphs sets it could be one of them misses the " ' " but I am not sure.

All the other things .. I can't say I ever seen them ( probably spent too long cursing over "Manette Gauche", "Knop/Taste" and such ) ..

" there was one instance where the intermediate flying bit between levels was extremely sensitive to input. ", can you remember where/how/in what level this happened ?

Junosix

Re: UI observations

Postby Junosix » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Can't remember what level it was, probably in the 20s at a guess. If I remember correctly, if I moved left or right it would just go to either extreme immediately rather than being able to control the amount of movement based on the speed I moved the controller.

Return to “Tempest 4000 INFORMAL”