Controls over-sensitive

Technical support forum for Minotaur Rescue users.
strowger

Controls over-sensitive

Postby strowger » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Very pretty game, love the menu interface and idea.

But, on my iPad (with IOS 4.2.1) I'm finding the controls pretty difficult.

Please would you consider making the sensitivity tunable?

PVB

Re: Controls over-sensitive

Postby PVB » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:42 pm

I've not found them overly sensitive, but here's some tips;

just do very, very short, smooth strokes, as if you're wiping away a fingerprint or a speck of dust from the screen.

Holding the finger down on the screen increases the 'rocket' speed, so is only used to get quickly away from something (like a UFO) or collecting a Minotaur near the sun. The rocket's movement has inertia, so needs a spin/corrective blast to slow/stop the ship once it's away from danger.

Maybe play Deep Space (starting on level 1) before trying Solar, so you get used to the moving/turning/firing before having to contend with a sun and its gravity. :)

kurst

Postby kurst » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:56 am

While I haven't tried it on my iPhone yet on my iPad the controls do feel a little too sensitive. While it's something I'm quickly getting used to it took me a little bit to go "maybe do smaller strokes".

But honestly - It would be a nice addition to have an option to be able to thrash my paws at the screen widely when I get an excited play through on the game.

Spent way too much time typing this up - got get back into the game.

strowger

Postby strowger » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for the replies - good advice about starting with the deep space levels.

I've spent a fair bit of time trying to get used to it, and I'm afraid I've given up. I just find the control method baffling. My instinct is to keep a finger on the screen all the time, and then expect movements of it to control the ship - I know that isn't what the instructions say to do though.

When I try to just stroke the screen, I don't really find a good connection between my finger movements and the ship movements; often the ship turns in the opposite direction to the one I wanted. The "rotate ship" and "thrust" controls aren't clearly separate and I find myself unable to instruct the ship to clearly do one or the other.

I think it would have helped to have a fuller description of exactly how the finger movements are interpreted by the game - I guess for a lot of you it's immediately and instinctively obvious.

Cheers

GilesGoat
Site Admin

Postby GilesGoat » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 am

kurst wrote:While I haven't tried it on my iPhone yet on my iPad the controls do feel a little too sensitive. While it's something I'm quickly getting used to it took me a little bit to go "maybe do smaller strokes".

But honestly - It would be a nice addition to have an option to be able to thrash my paws at the screen widely when I get an excited play through on the game.

Spent way too much time typing this up - got get back into the game.

.. I have to ask this .. is that a fursuit/mask of yours in that avatar :) ? If it is, it's really awesome 8-)

GilesGoat
Site Admin

Postby GilesGoat » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm

A little repost from the TA forum, a useful hint :

Yeah the key is to use the stroking motion for most of the time. Small strokes to orient, larger ones to move. Hold and drag should be reserved for those times when you really need to move quickly somewhere, like zipping round the screen wrap to attack a saucer from the opposite side, or for hauling your ass out of the gravity well if you've gone too close to the sun :mrgreen: .

I liken the control action to being like using a small imaginary trackball with my thumb :) .

I'd also suggest playing a bit of Deep Space if it's taking you a while to get used to the controls. At least in the earlier levels it's a more chilled out pace and without the constant effect of the gravity well it can be an easier place to learn the controls.

Deep Space is far from being easy though once you go through a few levels and the rocks start to get attracted to you...

There you go ...

matt

Postby matt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:56 pm

I'd also like to see an option to change the sensitivity of the controls.

The game plays really well on my iPad, but when I move over to my iPhone everything seems a lot more sensitive? Ideally, I'd like the control area to be the same as on the iPad and not scaled down in relation to the screen resolution or graphics size on the phone.

Any chance?

Great game, well done.

PVB

Postby PVB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 am

matt wrote: Ideally, I'd like the control area to be the same as on the iPad and not scaled down in relation to the screen resolution or graphics size on the phone.

Wouldn't that increase the likelyhood of your longer sliding finger obscuring too much of the screen?

The slider/sensitivity control option would be a good update to bring the game back to notice in a little while though. :)

matt

Postby matt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:24 am

I use two thumbs to control. One on the left, for if my ship is on the right, and vice versa.

So i'm not so concerned about size of control area on iPhone.

PVB

Postby PVB » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:25 pm

matt wrote:I use two thumbs to control. One on the left, for if my ship is on the right, and vice versa.

So i'm not so concerned about size of control area on iPhone.

Aah, interesting. :)

Return to “Minotaur Rescue support”